Tax incentives, and rebates may be available on many of the "green" items that you purchase for your house and/or business. What incentives and rebates are available are always in flux, and vary among states, counties, municipalities, etc. Don't be hesitant to look into it, because what has been offered is often significant, and can save you thousands of dollars. Tax credits, in particular, are extremely valuable, they are dollars off the actual taxes you owe, not "just" a deduction from your income which is used to figure how much, in tax, you owe. Regretably, political and economic winds are constantly changing, and sometimes seem to be short sighted. If the winds are unfavorable today, check again tomorrow. Always ask any supplier, contractor, designer, accountant, etc. that you deal with, if they know of any incentives or rebates, but remember it's your responsibility to do the research. Below is a list of a few sites that may help you.

UPDATE••••••• The "bailout bill" just passed (October, 2008) by the Senate and Congress includes a much better renewable energy tax credit deal for the homeowner. Starting in Janurary 2009, you can get an up to 30% tax rebate of a solar system cost. The program goes for 8 years. And there are tax rebates for other systems (wind, solar water heaters, fuel cells, etc.)•••••••• So click on below and go to: Personal Tax Credit; residential renewable energy tax credit.
• Energy efficient appliance rebate
• Cash for decommissioning (bring to the dump) refrigerator, $85
• Energy star manufactured home rebate, $600
• Special CFL bulb prices
• Net metering (you are paid a retail price for excess power that you produce at home)
• SNAP program—you can enroll to receive extra financial benefit from your home produced energy system
• Low income energy assistance
• A database of federal, state, and local incentives for solar thermal and photovoltaic home systems

• SNAP program—A program which allows PUD customers to pay a bit extra on their electric bill to support locally produced renewable energy. When your PV or wind system generates more electricity than you need, the PUD will pay you an extra amount, beyond the amount from net metering, from the SNAP fund—be a producer rather than a consumer and support the SNAP fund when you pay your utility bill. Your money will go directly to support a renewable system.

Grid-tied solar systems also get sales tax exemption on the equipment purchased if the product has been manufactured in Washington State.